Monday, January 28, 2008

Recalcitrant Lake - a poem

[To John and Debbie, with love. It has been an inspiration to me to see Debbie stand by my her husband day in and day out. Suffering from the complications of Lou Gehrig's disease on top of a heart attack in November, Johnny has not been able to speak. The agape love she has shown has made all the difference.]

It's not good, not at all
not at all, consuming, gnawing
away at my vitality;
IVs invade, filling an oasis
under my skin with numbing
concoctions making even
my bones tremble and grow soft.
A shaky hold I have, my life
draining its putrid effluent
over my bedpan, soaking the linens
It's not good, not at all,
not at all, as bauds of Pharma
make me sicker, make me dazed
and asinine alarms make me crazy.
I fight vile feelings of pique
My secret hope is that the world
will end tomorrow and take me with it.
For now I am speechless and rigid
I am the emergency in 372, hysterical,
I am the Code Blue!
You're still here, you're still here
I can see you across the way
It's just you and me, surrounded
by the blurry, dry-erase names
that come and go like IVs.
I have my one good eye fixed on you -
deny me not, not once nor thrice.
Don't let me die here, floating
like a starved jellyfish drowning,
depraved in this recalcitrant lake.
You're still there, you're still there;
I can see you between the scrubs,
stop crying - I am mute but not dead,
I am dying but I am far from sad
I know that there is debt but my soul
tells me it will be paid in full.
I am better, come back and stay,
hold my hand while I sleep and dream
of contours green by still waters where
we lay unoccupied, unhurried, being.

- Jim Jordan 1/26/08

No comments: