Monday, September 22, 2008

A Vow is a Vow, Part 4

The note was clear. "Take John Miller off life support now", the relative had written in the email to the hospital. Of course, the relative whom I will not name doesn't have to watch as the man that I love slowly suffocates while dying of starvation. Another moral dilemma is that the feeding peg and ventilator were both ordered and signed for by Johnny.

It's easy to send emails when you don't plan to visit. They haven't. Instead they have sent mean-spirited emails, and more emails, called the hospital where Johnny was staying to ask the staff to update them on his condition. One of the nurses joked once that she was going to start replying, "No, he's not dead yet."

People who have been in the front lines of caring for their severely ill spouse or loved one might be familiar with family members who send edicts from far away rather than lending moral support. Physically, it would be easier to just have watched Johnny die last December. But spiritually, I know I took a vow to care for him, and I know he's cared for me. Spiritually, watching him struggle for air is not an option. It's different when you're next to him in his times of clarity, and your eyes connect with his. If God had another solution, I think He would have revealed it to me by now. But His timing is not our timing.

Johnny stayed at Holy Cross from the time of the heart attack in November to January 25th. The crew at that hospital was quite wonderful, from the nurses to Father Jim Nero and Joanne the Chaplain. Spiritual care is important to Holy Cross, and it was a great help to me. I slept in the room with Johnny for 62 days, and snuck downstairs most mornings for Mass before he woke. Father Jim and Sister Joanne's support was a pillar of strength for me in those days. As were the daily calls from my son Ryan and daughter Shannon who also came several times to see him during that time.

There were tough days at the hospital, too. Shortly after the heart attack, the nurses laid Johnny flat, something you can't do to an ALS patient. Johnny's lungs began to collapse and they responded by giving him too much oxygen, blowing a hole in his lung. On December 6th, 2007, a tracheotomy was put in as the oral tube would soon cause severe damage if left in.

On December 18th, the first letter came from the family demanding Johnny be taken off any life support. It was a difficult Christmas to say the least. A few friends visited, and I put a miniature Christmas tree decorated with angels and beautiful white lights from my sister on the table opposite Johnny so he'd have something to look at. Everyone commented on what a wonderful thing to do for him during the Holidays to keep him involved. We watched and prayed during Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. He recieved so many, many caring cards from my family and friends BUT not one from his own.

On January 19th, as I was setting up Johnny's new hospital room at home n our condo, a police officer showed up. He explained that a relative of Johnny's had called and complained that I was "endangering" Johnny. There is much, much more to the antagonism of his family toward any thought of him improving, but I don't want to dwell on that.

The officer didn't find any endangerment. Instead, he was surprised to find a fully functional home care center and two nurses who were helping me set it up. And, of course, Johnny wasn't there...yet. Six days later, Johnny was home looking out over the ocean as he has always loved to do.

And here he is still. He has remained the same, neither greatly improving nor greatly weakening. If anything, his hands and legs are a little stronger than before and he is aware of his surroundings and visitors when they come. Nurses come pretty much to do basic tasks and give me a chance to pick up Johnny's medicines and do errands. I am by his side 90% of the time, cleaning his trach, feeding him, and keeping him clean. Exercising his legs , arms and neck I love him so very much. He has been everything to me for many, many years. I can see no other way than to try and do everything I can for him as I have vowed to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Debbie and John... When I was down to visit a short while back I saw that John has tremendous love, care and support. Without him speaking I saw and knew that you..(Johnny) knew who I was and said "hello" and "happy to see you"..Though you could not "actully" utter the words, I knew what you were saying. You knew my husbands name and your eyes widened looking for him. You are the same ole' johnny..looking to put a smile on someone elses face..never once thinking of yourself.. you push thoughts of yourself down and away and still reach out to others in that effort to brighten ones day in that gracious manner of yours. The eyes and the face can speak volumnes as such yours do. We pray for you each day ..that you hang in there till we overcome this and have a cure. I know there is so much more you want to do and that the fire still burns strong in your heart, you are content for now ..for I know you know "that tomorrow is another day". And we shall go on. God Bless you John. And many blessings to you Debbie for all your love and faith. Buddy and I pray for you both to remain strong and faithful for God shall see you thru. Love, Sharon and Buddy